Here’s the official recipe for Carol’s cookies from The Walking Dead. If you’re a fan of the hit AMC zombie drama, you’ve likely wondered — like me — what Carol’s chocolate-applesauce cookies taste like. In my case, it had less to do with a genuine gastronomic curiosity and more to do with the fact that these were the cookies she offered them to a young boy after she threatened to feed him to walkers!
Regardless, they’re a tasty treat and oh-so-perfect for Halloween parties – especially zombie-themed ones! This recipe is for a dozen cookies, so if you want “lots and lots of cookies,” (see what I did there?) you might want to make more than one batch.
What You’ll Need
- ¼ cup applesauce
- ¼ large chocolate bar (I use ½ a regular Hershey’s milk chocolate bar)
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ cup shortening (I prefer using unsalted butter instead)
- 1 cup flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup white sugar
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Large bowl
- Non-stick cookie sheet
- Serving platter
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- In a large bowl, combine applesauce, shortening, brown and white sugar. Mix until shortening is blended.
- Add baking powder, baking soda, flour, salt, and vanilla extract. Mix until doughy and flour is fully absorbed.
- Let dough stand for 3-5 minutes.
- Melt chocolate (for best results, use a double-boiler method).
- Add chocolate to dough and mix until fully blended.
- Place golf ball-sized dollops of dough — about two inches apart — on a non-stick cookie sheet.
- Bake for 11-13 minutes at 350° F.
- Remove from oven and let cool on cookie sheet.
- Place cookies onto a serving platter with napkins nearby.
Note: Recipe copyright of AMC and courtesy of amc.com.
Check out more Halloween recipes in the Food & Drink section. For more party ideas, check out the Ideas section.