I’ve got a quick and easy Halloween recipe for a healthy, vegetarian treat everyone will love, especially the kids: boonana ghosts. If you’re looking for something you can prepare in just a few minutes that’s a great alternative to high-sugar party treats, this one definitely hits the mark! It’s a hoot with the kids every time I make it.
Let’s begin with a list of what you’ll need, then I’ll walk you through the steps.
What You’ll Need
- Bananas, yellow
- Hershey’s Milk Chocolate Chips (or try Hershey’s Sugar-Free Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
for a healthier option)
- Popsicle sticks
- Serving platter
- Peel one banana and cut it in two pieces, crosswise (not lengthwise)
- With the pointed end of the banana facing up as the top of the ghost’s head, insert two chocolate chips (pointy-side in) into the banana to make a pair of eyes
- Add a third chocolate chip below the eyes (pointy-side in) to make a mouth
- Insert a Popsicle stick into the cut (bottom) end of the banana to complete your ghost
- Repeat steps 2-4 for the other half of the banana to make a second ghost
- Repeat steps 1-5 to make as many banana ghosts as you need
- Place banana ghosts onto a serving platter as desired, with napkins nearby
Tip: Looking for a nice alternative? Substitute chocolate chips with caramel chips or bananas with plantains. You can also dip the peeled bananas in shredded coconut and use raisins or Craisins for the mouths. Freezing the boonana ghosts also adds a nice chill to these tasty treats!
Check out more Halloween recipes in the Food & Drink section. For more kids’ party ideas, check out the Ideas>Kids Stuff section.
well this sure is an easy recipe to make! I especially like the idea of adding coconut to the banana. I think that would add some flavor and make it more tropical (even though it is not the intended purpose). You could also dip the very tip in melted chocolate to make a hat? Make it even more fun! 🙂
I like the ghost hat idea – it’s very kid-friendly! Feel free to check out the Recipes page for more ideas, or share your own recipe by posting it here!